Skip to main content

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 1997 (Village Roadshow)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 1997 (Village Roadshow)
STARRING: Patrick Dempsey (Professor Aronnax), Michael Caine (Captain Nemo)
PLOT: Young Professor Aronnax, tired of his father and colleagues belittling his gigantic sea creature theories, joins an expedition hunting for whatever thing is destroying cargo boats, only to be captured by the captain of the submarine Nautilus along with Ned Land and his friend Cabe Attucks. More strange mysteries await them there.
OPINION: I think my expectations rose for this movie after watching the Hallmark movie made the same year. Unfortunately, this movie failed to meet any expectation.
First off, as soon as I saw that Michael Caine was playing Nemo, I winced. It literally felt as ridiculous as Michael Caine playing Batman to me. He just doesn't fit the character. Personally I think Caine is a great actor, but he just wasn't able to bring the menacing power that was Nemo – that feeling that this guy was boss (my word for bad-a**) and wasn't to be messed with.
Patrick did an okay job as Aronnax but his character really suffered from bad writing. The constant nightmares that he had of his father were annoying. Not to mention – don’t ever start your movie off with such a looong nightmare scene.
I liked Cabe Attucks character, but I felt he completely overshadowed Ned Land, whose character really became unimportant; which ended up a mercy because Ned Land was horrible. His lines were few and boring, he had no personality, and I quickly grew tired of him.
There were more girls in this movie than I expected, but they were so poorly used, they might as well not been there at all. I liked the idea that Nemo’s daughter, Mara, was still alive. It might've been better if she had had any personality. I still couldn't figure out why they had a brief love triangle between the young Professor and his father’s mistress, a confused young woman, at the beginning. It seemed the movie was riddled with pointless story arcs, strange steampunk additions (robotic hands??? Say what?), and a plot that left me laughing (Nemo’s great plan is to shift the earth’s plates with bombs thus ending earthquakes, so he can live in an underwater city?). I eventually started fast-forwarding the boring stuff and multitasking as the movie lost interest for me. Not a recommendation, unless you want something to laugh at, adore Patrick Dempsey and would watch him weave baskets, or love Verne enough to watch any adaptation of his work there is.
Did I mention this movie is 3 hours??!?!
CONTENT: some kissing, some violence and torture (nothing very scary), Aronnax’s father has a mistress and she kisses his grown son once, Aronnax tells Mara her father warned him about “seducing” her when she’s with him alone in his room – Mara replies it isn't seduction if she wants it too and starts kissing him
RATING: PG

STARS: 2 out of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…