The Merchant's Daughter

The Merchant's Daughter
AUTHOR: Melanie Dickerson
PLOT: A merchant's daughter is forced to work in servitude to the town's lord, a wounded, "beastly" man who evokes fear in the hearts of others.
OPINION: It's been a while since I've read a book this fast - which is a good sign. The story is pretty simple here, but I found myself really enjoying this fairy-tale retelling. Perhaps it was the early medieval background or just that Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy-tale. I really enjoyed the romance. My only negative critisism is there was no complexity to the story and no other characters, besides the main ones, that had any real bearing on the story. (I love the cover by the way. So beautiful.)
CONTENT: mild descriptions of physical attraction, a man tries to force himself on a girl several times (it is written mildly, i.e. veiled threats), a girl tries to coerce a man to sleep with her, a girl accuses a man of coercing her to sleep with him
RATING: PG
STARS: 5 out of 5

Comments

  1. Really glad you liked this one, Hope. I recently read "The Captive Maiden" and while I didn't love it, the cover art is absolutely gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I read your review for "The Captive Maiden". ;) I'll probably be reading The Healer's Apprentice some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts