Tarzan of the Apes

Tarzan of the Apes
AUTHOR: Edgar Burroughs
STARS: 3.5 out of 5

PLOT: An orphaned baby in the wilds of Africa is adopted by gorillas and learns to survive in the jungle while
pursuing the identity of who he really is.

OPINION: "Tarzan" is Burroughs most popular story, and I had to say that I enjoyed it despite its many flaws.
Burroughs writing style can be very repetitive and the story bordered on soap opera most of the time, yet the
tale itself is still as intriguing and iconic as it was to me as a child. Personally, I felt the story really
"began for me" when Jane entered and I loved every scene between the couple. The real heart of the story is
Tarzan's journey to be a man, which i what brought out Tarzan's character to  me - someone trying to find
identity. Is he merely a beast of the jungle or he a man capable of so much more? Again, Burroughs' story was
sort of all over the place, which left Tarzan's journey being underplayed in my opinion. Altogether, Tarzan of
the Apes is an adventurous, fun story.

CONTENT: torture, violence, cannibalism is described, Tarzan & Jane kiss, there is a lot of negative stereotyping (especially of black people; sadly typical of works during this time)

Comments

  1. I think I need to give Edgar Rice Borroughs a try. I'd like to read this one, and then I'd also kind of like to try his John Carter series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts