Skip to main content

Beastly

Beastly, by Alex Flinn

STARS: 4 out of 5
PLOT: “I am a beast. A beast! Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.” – Beastly’s blurb
OPINION: Sometime last year (I’m horrible with dates) I watched Beastly. I thought it was a cute movie, but I had this feeling (which was reiterated by my perceptive sister) that the story would be better as a book. It definitely is. I haven’t read a book this quickly in a while, and it felt so good.
This story centers on Kyle Kingsbury, the popular high school student who becomes a hairy, fanged beast. Let me say first: this is how you write first person POV novels. Right away I had a clear idea of who was talking (instead of like other novels where you think a 50 yr old grandma is narrating and then you learn it’s a 5 yr old boy, lol). Kyle’s personality soaks right through the words.
And can I say that I loved the blending of a fairy tale with modern day NYC! It’s such a contrasting blend, which just makes it so fun and intriguing.
My one complaint is the mild sexual innuendo. I find it really weird when it’s in Teen books.
Kyle is the perfect spoiled rotten brat that you can’t help liking, because you know transformation is on the road for him. I appreciated how Alex Flinn took us along on Kyle’s journey of internal change into someone capable of selfless love. And speaking of love, Kyle becomes such an adorable romantic hero. My favorite parts of the novel were Kyle trying to gain Lindy's trust. He so desperately wants her to see beyond his appearance – to see he’s not a monster, but someone who cares for and protects her. Heh, now I want to go read the novel all over again.


CONTENT: veiled sexual allusions and double-entendres, statements like a “girl has her hand down her pants” pop up, a father slaps his daughter, Kyle encounters a man on drugs

Comments

  1. Someday I'll have to re-read this one but if memory serves me right, I can recall enjoying it a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good read. I haven't read that much YA in recent yrs, but I won't reading more books if they're as good as this one. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…