My Princess (2011)

My Princess
Type:
Korean Drama
Year: 2011
Episodes: 16
Where to Watch: Dramafever, Viki, Hulu
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5

 Aww! Nothing like a walk down memory lane. This Korean drama has a special place in my heart as the second K-drama I ever watched. Long-lost royalty, beautiful dresses, romance; My Princess is an adorable romantic comedy in similar taste of light-hearted fare like The Prince and I or The Princess Diaries 1 & 2.
             
 Lee Seol is just a typical girl working part-time jobs when a rich businessman, Lee Soon-Jae, reveals to her that she’s the long-lost heir to the Yi Dynasty and the last Princess of Korea. (Historically, the Yi Dynasty, the Korean Monarchy, fell apart in the early 1900s during the Japanese Occupation of Korea).  Lee Soon-Jae feels he’s to blame for the death of Seol’s father and decides to donate his millions to give her a palace and a life as a real princess. Only Lee Soon-Jae’s grandson, Park Hae-Young, isn’t going to sit by and let his inheritance be thrown away. Park Hae-Young takes the position of teaching Lee Seoul etiquette and a hilarious antagonistic relationship begins! While Park Hae-Young tries to find a way to stop his grandfather, he begins to fall for the adorable, bubbly princess. Can he really go through with his scheme to the end?

Park Hae-Young and Lee Seol
Kim Tae-Hee is her most adorable here as Lee Seol. Candy girls (the poor but kind-hearted heroine) are a dime-a-dozen in the K-drama world, but Kim Tae-Hee has a natural sweetness to her. You just want the best for this lonely girl who wants more in her life. And who doesn’t wish to be the girl who suddenly gets a closet exploding with shoes and fancy dresses and a royal title to go with that? Heck, sign me up. (I seriously wanted so many of her dresses)

Lee Seol's princess room
Though I’m not a big Sung Seong-Hoon fan with his more current dramas, I still enjoy him in this role. He easily fits the role of snobby, cold-hearted business-brat who really has a warm side hidden underneath all those hardened layers.


The show does have its problems – mainly a lack of any driving conflict. The show overuses the same story points, multiple episodes have the characters going around in plot circles, and there were plenty of aggravating moments, lol.


What kept me watching this drama? The endless amount of cute!! Most romances deal with the mountainous struggle of a couple to fall in love and finally be together. In a nice twist, Lee Seol and Park Hae-Young’s relationship builds very quickly and allows you to enjoy the many cute and silly, sweet moments between them. Honestly, they just breathe chemistry through this whole show. And it made me ship this poor princess and rich-boy real hard.

Comments

  1. This was such a fun walk down memory lane for me, too! My Princess was the 8th drama I watched, so not one of my very firsts, but it was the first drama that I picked for myself! All of my others had been picked by other people. Their relationship was just such a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this drama! Such a cute OTP! So cool that you even remember this as the first drama you chose. I remember watching this one and then finding out after a couple of episodes that my sister had watched My Princess too (without me knowing, lol). We ended up watching the rest of the drama together 'cuz she liked it so much.

      Delete
    2. It's so great that your sister watches kdramas, too! I have a couple of friends who watch Kdramas, but none of them really live close enough to watch dramas with. One of my friends lives a few hours away and we do try and have a Kdrama weekend every few months, and it's always fun to watch with her :) But it's so cool to have someone close by you can watch things with!

      Delete
    3. It is really cool! Even if she's not interested in watching a show with me, she'll listen to me rant about what's going on (i.e. "why did so-and-so get amnesia again!" "did they have to have another person hit by a truck??") If I really like a show, I'll try to get her to watch it herself. I told her about My Love From Another Star and she adored that drama.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts