Skip to main content

MY TOP TEN K-DRAMA COUPLES, PART 2

MY TOP TEN K-DRAMA COUPLES, part 2

In writing the last half of this list I came to several dilemmas when I realized I had more favorites than necessary to finish the top five. I was forced to make the difficult decision of choosing who lives and dies (well, who makes it on the list anyways). So here are the rest of my top ten favorites, and hopefully in the future I can put out another top ten K-drama couples that I couldn’t squeeze in here.
 
Princess Seol & Park Hae-Young
                5. Park Hae-Young & Lee Seol (My Princess)
                                The bubbly poor girl and the rich selfish brat. A timeless coupling that still manages to entertain me today. Lee Seol finds out that she’s a long-lost princess of Korea and Hae-Young finds out that his grandfather is going to donate his inheritance to the princess. Hae-Young becomes Lee Seol’s tutor in etiquette while trying to stop her from getting his money. But she’s so darn adorable he’s doomed from the start.
                                A favorite OTP scene: Lee Seol is hiding in an old car in the museum of the palace while watching dramas. She practices Lady Mishil’s it’s all your fault line (from Queen Seondeok) and inserts Hae-Young’s name just as he finds her in the car. They exchange amusing banter about Lee Seol’s “plans” to assassinate her enemies, which would be primarily him.
 
Wol-Ryung surprises Seo-Hwa with flowers
                4. Gu Wol-Ryung & Yoon Seo-Hwa (Gu Family Book)
                                A runaway slave and a mythical gumiho or fox-human fall in love – and stole my heart. This couple only had two episodes at the beginning of the drama as their story was merely the prologue to their son’s journey. Sadly, the rest of the show didn’t have the draw for me that these two emotional and fairy-tale like episodes did. Gu Wol-Ryung, a gumiho and protector of the forest, is every kind of adorable as he tries to win the heart of the emotionally battered Seo-Hwa, whose father was executed for treason.
                                A favorite OTP scene: Wol-Ryung wants to make Seo-Hwa happy in his home in the mountains, so he brings her loads of fruit, bunches of flowers, butterflies and shows her around his beautiful secret forest paradise.

Choi Young takes a rest with Eun-Soo
                3. Choi Young & Yoo Eun-Soo (Faith/The Great Doctor)
                                I admit it. I’m a sucker for the protective warrior. Choi Young fits snugly in that wonderful stereotype as a very protective warrior from the Goryeo (ancient Korea) era who goes through a time traveling portal to find who he thinks is a doctor from heaven (really just modern Korea). Eun-Soo is the sweet and lively cosmetic surgeon who not only finds herself trapped in the past but falling in love with a stoic hero.
                                A favorite OTP scene: Young is crazy-mad at Eun-Soo for not telling him that the antidote was destroyed (the one that she needed). He tells her he wants her to go back when the time portal opens, but she wants to stay and try to find another antidote, as she’s afraid she’ll never be able to return to Goryeo.
 
Min-Joon & Cheon Song-Yi
                2. Do Min-Joon & Cheon Song-Yi (My Love From Another Star)
                                No OTP list could be complete without My Love From Another Star. A widely popular drama both in Korea and among foreign K-drama fans (including my sister and myself), we all fell in love with the serious, grumpy-pants alien Do Min-Joon and his love, a sassy actress, Cheon Song-Yi who gets under his skin. There is so much cute and adorable and beautiful in this drama. I love this couple to bits. Of all the OTPS, Song-Yi has to be my favorite girl character. She completely owns the screen with her hilarious, feisty self.
                                A favorite OTP scene: Cheon Song-Yi realizes that Min-Joon doesn’t age as an alien and starts freaking out. She becomes frantic at the thought that she’ll grow old and he’ll still young. Though he assures her she’ll always be beautiful to him, she’s a woman on a mission now. She immediately throws on a beauty mask and starts frantically exercising. She’s seriously gold.

Ji-Sook & Min-Woo
                1. Byeon Ji-Sook & Choi Min-Woo (Mask)
                                An arranged marriage leading to true love. A girl who protects her man. A guy who just wants someone to love. Ji-Sook and Min-Woo’s journey from virtual strangers to husband and wife who respect and trust one another was such a wonderful story.  I cheered, swooned and grinned my way through their lovely moments.
                                A favorite OTP scene: On the steps to the courthouse to finalize the divorce to their fake marriage, Choi Min-Woo admits to Ji-Sook that he loves her. He complains that she never said she didn’t want a divorce, and she points out that he didn’t say anything either. But he tells her it doesn’t matter – he does love her. They kiss on the steps.

Comments

  1. You had just commented back on our blog, in return for the comment I made on your Top Ten. I always like to go back and see which blogs respond and when I saw this post my jaw dropped! I love Kdramas so much! And all of these choices are phenomenal :) Though, I haven't watched Gu Family Book. A friend watched it and warned me that it wasn't my kind of ending. I love that Mr. P and Lee Seol made your list! None of my Kdrama fans will watch that drama and it makes me sad. I love that scene in the car! Their first kiss is one of my favorite scenes, too! When he tells her not to remember, I die :p

    I just finished Mask the other day! That drama took me by surprise, it was just so amazing! I will admit to being disappointed with the last episode, but up until then, it was freaking amazing. I loved how Ji Sook wanted to protect Min Woo, but even more than that I loved how he trusted her. Drama tropes usually give us the misunderstandings and people who can never trust anyone, so it was refreshing to see him come up against a potential misunderstanding situation and to go for the option of trusting that she had her reasons.

    Kim Soo Hyun was so perfect at Do Min Joon. I was seriously worried about not liking Song Yi in the beginning, but you're right, her character just was so amazing! She managed to skate the fine line of being a little whiny without actually being annoying!

    My only complaint for Faith would be there wasn't enough skinship!

    Gosh, sorry I gushed so much! I just get so excited about meeting fellow Kdrama fans :) I'm gonna go look for part one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you dropped by again! It's so exciting to meet another K-drama fan! And gush anytime here - I loved reading what you had to say, especially since I totally had all the same feelings about these dramas!

      I definitely second the warning about Gu Family Book. I didn't watch the ending either (but read a recap) and was disappointed at the way they ended it. It is sad that My Princess is not more popular; it's so cute! And totally awesome that you finished Mask!! I loved that drama - and you pointed out one of the biggest reasons why too. Not having the misunderstanding trope wreck their love for endless episodes made me SOOO happy. But you know in K-drama land it's truly a big deal since characters trusting one another is a rare treat. lol. Yay for drama writers getting it right for once!

      Delete
    2. Recaps are so amazing. I love that there are people that will do that for us, especially when dramas start to drag and you know you won't be able to finish if you can't skip a little of the boring, but you still don't want to miss any of what's happening!

      It really was a huge deal! However, it also made it a little disappointing that when he found out the truth that he took it so bad. I mean, he spent 75% of the drama saying he trusted her and that he knew she had a secret. But when he found out, it was like all of that went out the window. Another thing that bugged me, everyone and their mama told him not to go on that hunting trip! They kept warning him over and over again, and he goes anyway. Which is fine, sure. But then, when it's time to pick the path it's like he though "hey, all of these people keep telling me not go on this trip and that my life is in danger. I probably shouldn't stray too far from the group. But screw them, LOL. I'm gonna go off on my own anyway!" But even still, this drama was so good that even the things that bugged me didn't really matter!

      Delete
    3. Recaps have saved me from so many bad dramas. And also introduced me to good ones.

      Oh yeah the hunting trip. Lol. Min-Woo's brain must have taken a vacation. It's funny to me how drama writers will have a character receive a bunch of logical advice and then have him completely ignore it.

      Delete
  2. Ah! yes, Choi Young. I now have it sooooooo drilled into me that Choi Young is Lee Min Hoo, that whenever he (Choi Young) is mentioned where history is concerned, I say, "Oh yeah, that's Lee Min Ho's character from Faith."

    Mel has trained me well!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…