Skip to main content

The Pirates (2014)

The Pirates
Type: Korean Film
Year: 2014
My Rating: 4 out of 5

                I’ve always been a sucker for pirate stories since I was a kid. There’s just something thrilling about swashbuckling brigands with eye-patches fighting over buried troves of treasure. The Pirates captures that adventurous high seas magic I love.
                Jang Sa-Jung is a soldier turned bandit leader who’s just looking for more wealth. Yeo-Wol is a female pirate captain who is committed to protecting her loyal band of brothers. When a gray whale attacks a convoy ship and swallows the Great Seal, the royal seal of Joseon (Korea), Yeo-Wol is commissioned by a cruel general to retrieve the stamp or suffer the consequences. Meanwhile the bandits are itching for a chance to take the treasure the gray whale swallowed. 

                This movie surprised me on so many fronts. It’s surprisingly hilarious! The humor, reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean witty tongue-in-cheek moments, was so entertaining. One of my favorite laugh-out-loud moments was when the ex-pirate-turned-bandit tried to explain to land-locked bandits the size and scope of a whale. And the movie is so beautiful! Gorgeous sharp cinematography filled the entire movie from dense forests, rainfall at a massive war camp, to the turquoise blue ocean waters. I also loved the fantastical martial arts and swordplay.

Kim Nam-Gil as Jang Sa-Jung
                Kim Nam-Gil is back!! I swear it’s like Bidam (his character in Queen Seondeok) again with his long flowing mane and fantastic acting effortlessly marrying together his characteristic intensity and moments of hilarity. While I think studios are aware of the palpable passion he brings to the screen (he’s been in many revenge dramas), only a few decide to capitalize on his natural comedic talent. I still think the writers could’ve done a few things better with his character, Jang Sa-Jung; mainly fleshing out animosity between him and the villain, who was severely underwritten, and work out a more natural romance between him and Yeo-Wol.


                I really enjoyed Yeo-Wol’s character as well. Son Ye-Jin (Yeo-Wol’s actresss) played her strength as a pirate queen naturally without having to act like she was trying to be a macho hero. She reminded me of Tauriel (elf-lady from The Hobbit movies) who portrayed a tough warrior girl yet still very feminine. Again, I fault the writers for not divulging more of Yeo-Wol’s character. Though I didn’t mind the fact that she didn’t have much back-story, it would’ve been nice to show more of what she was feeling during the story.

Captain Yeo-Wol
                I think, in the end, the writers chose to focus more on the comic adventure of pirates and bandits pursing a whale with a royal stamp, which admittedly is an amusing, if not entertaining plot-line.. What the writers overlooked in character growth, they stepped up in keeping up a brisk pace, allowing characters to effortlessly interweave throughout the movie so we never had a dull moment. This flick is definitely one I’ll be visiting again.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! I actually re-watched it with my sister, who only watches Korean shows once in a while, and she loved it.

      Delete
  2. OH YES!!! This was the movie that Mel and I watched the New Year in with. It was SOOOOOOOO funny!!! Not to mention cool costumes, swordfighting, archery and PIRATES!!!! It was really, really good and I definitely plan to watch it again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so good. Honestly, it's a movie I wish I could own. I have no idea how I could get my hands on it, though. Lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…