2016 Writerly Goals & Resolutions



There are so many lovely blogs out there! I recently discovered Beautiful People. They have a really cool meme about writing, so I decided to join in!

1.       What were your writing achievements last year?

In 2015, I finished the first draft for an 80,000-word novel in September. I entered NaNoWriMo for the first time and made it to 45,379 words. I’d never written so much in such a short time (my 80,000 word novel took more than a year, lol) which was really awesome! I decided to start blogging again September 2015 after taking a hiatus for about nine months. I also joined the Silver Petticoat writers and have been writing articles there for several months now. Amusingly I started Silver Petticoat during NaNoWriMo and yes, I felt completely swamped in November writing 50,000 words and blogging for two websites. I feel much better now. :D

2.       Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?

My top priority is to write the first novel in a series about an oracle girl in a fantasy, Wuxia-inspired world. It’s going to be YA and follow her journey from innocent pawn to formidable warrior and leader.

3.       List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.

First, I want to actually edit and finish a story. I’ve written a lot and have actually edited some of the stories but I usually get stuck with a problem in the story that I can’t figure out how to change. Then I end up leaving the story to work on something else.
Second, I want to improve by reading more. Last year I didn’t read as many books as I had planned, but on a good note, I loved all the books I read. :D
Third,  I’m working on improving my blog stability. That means consistent posting weekly. So far it’s been going well, but I when I start writing my story again I want to make sure I can remain consistent in both.
Fourth, I want to improve in being less negative about my writing. Lol. I’m a bit of a perfectionist at times, especially when it comes to writing. It’s not really that I spend all my time perfecting my work, I just spend all my time fretting about how my work is not perfect. Life’s too short to waste my time on perfectionism and being overly critical. This year I want to write it, edit it and then release it!
Fifth, I need to improve on not editing while writing the first draft. This really slows down the writing process. Editing is for after finishing the first draft.

4.       Are you participating in any writing challenges?

No, but I’m always intrigued by challenges so if I see an interesting one I’ll probably join in.

5.       What's your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?

My sister is my critique partner right now. I’m so grateful for her because she’s awesome and I don’t have anyone else, lol. I would like to expand, but I’m uncertain as to how at this point. I’ll have to start looking into it more.

6.       Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research?

Oh yeah, definitely for research. I bought a martial arts book. I’ve been reading Chinese and Korean folk tales (they’re so much fun!). I’ve got a huge list of research books that I need to read eventually this year. :D

7.       Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?

A character of my own, right? Hmm, I would choose Lee Baek. He’s not really coming until the second book of my oracle series but I still want to know him better. I’ll probably keep thinking about the story and testing different ideas for him. Also, while I write, ideas just start coming and I’ll realize “Oh, that’s why he’s doing that.”

8.       Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?

Oh I’m definitely editing! I honestly can’t let anyone read the story (except my critique partner/sister) until it’s gone through at least a second or third draft.
I’m not certain about the query part right now. I’m really planning to self-publish at this point. But it may be worth a try to send my book to a publisher.

9.       Toni Morrison once said, “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?

Well said, Toni Morrison!! Personally, I’ve very interested in cultural diversity. There are loads of books about historical Europe and I really enjoy those, but I’d love to see more historical Asia. And that can be any genre: realistic historical or fantasy or anything. I kinda feel like a *hole* would be more ethnic diversity? I’m not calling anyone out, honestly. I just love seeing more of that. ;)

10.   What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?


To have self-published one if not two works! To continue to build a network with writers and bloggers and those that enjoy things that I like (like K-dramas and period dramas and Star Wars) and to just enjoy the process. Because the process is definitely the longest part of the journey, so why not enjoy the whole thing?

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to the wuxia series. We have too few wuxia novels in English. :)

    I hear ya on the perfectionism related to writing. I wrote an entire blog post about that. Also the not editing while writing a first draft. It's so HARD to force yourself to just /leave it/ for now.

    *CHEERS* I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE with your answer to #9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I agree. I'd love to see more of that genre.

      I'm slowly beginning to realize I'm not the only one struggling with the perfectionism thing as I thought. I know, editing while writing is so DIFFICULT to stop, lol. I just want to go back and fix that one word and then another and then another.

      Aww thanks! I definitely feel like there's more diversity coming out now which is really cool.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts