Skip to main content

Dramas I'm looking forward to in 2016

Happy New Year!!! 2016 is finally here! And with a new year, comes anticipation for new exciting shows. Can’t wait to see what all 2016 will bring for us. :D




December 26 2015 - January 2016
Dickensian
I only learned about this recently from my sister, but the idea sounds really intriguing. It’s a world full of Dickens many beloved secondary characters in his many books (Bleak House, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, etc). The story will be new, written to include the characters all in one world where they interact with one another. Sounds like BBC fun!


January 1
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
YAY SHERLOCK!!!! I love, love this BBC version starring the brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch and wonderful Martin Freeman. And now they’re going to have a Christmas special set in Victorian England with all the same actors!!? Dreams do come true!


January
The Musketeers
Yes, yes, yes! Athos, Porthos, Aramas, and D’Artagnan are soon to be back! This is such a fun period drama with swashbuckling fun, BROTPS galore, and gorgeous 17th century costumes and world!! This show has been solid entertainment for me. I loved the second season and can’t wait to see where the writers are going to take the characters. The only thing I’m sad about is that Milady de Winter won’t be able to be in much of the show (the actress is pregnant, which obviously is wonderful news for her and her family!). All I can say is - can’t wait for the show’s return!


January 4
Cheese in the Trap
Apparently a lot of excitement surrounds this drama since it’s source is a very popular Korean web comic. There was a lot of casting hullabaloo (the show nearly cast a K-idol/singer, who isn’t really known for her great acting). Not exactly certain what this drama is even about but I’ll probably be taking a look when it comes around. Hehe.


January
War and Peace BBC
BBC and Lily James! Need I say more? Although I’ve never been that interested in watching a War and Peace adaptation, when BBC does a period drama, it’s like no other. This is definitely a must watch! I mean just look at those gorgeous costumes!


February 24
Descended From the Sun/Descendants of the Sun
Really not certain what to think of this one. My interest revolves mainly around the fact that this is the first drama Song Joong-Ki will be in since he’s come back from the army (in Korea, all men have to perform mandatory service for two years). The story is about a doctor apart of a charity relief medical association and a soldier who fall in love in a battle-torn fictionalized European country. Sounds intriguing, but the writer recently penned the K-drama Heirs. Like that oddly popular K-Drama, many of this writer’s dramas center around the trope of a leading man who’s a real jerk and extremely overbearing to the girl. Lol. Not a big fan of that. Will have to see how this one turns out.


June
Hwarang
Ooo! This sounds so cool. A show about the Hwarang warriors in the Silla dynasty (1st century) of early Korea! So the real reason I even know about these warriors is because of Queen Seondeok, a drama about the real historical queen (though much of the plot is fictitious, lol) and the warriors who helped her take the throne. So far Park Hyung-Shik (pic above) has been cast as the young King Jinheung. Hwarang literally means "flower boy" and these warriors were known to be young, educated and handsome. Sounds like a great foundation for a drama, am I right?


TBD
Moon Lovers (unconfirmed network)
A Korean version of the Chinese Bu Bu Jing Xin?? Well this is both surprising and intriguing! The original and very popular Chinese drama is about a modern day Chinese girl who ends up traveling back in time to the 1700s during the Qing Dynasty. There she meets a bunch of royal princes (Chinese emperors usually had dozens of children) with most of them (meaning: all) falling for her to some degree. The story sounds difficult to translate completely to Korea (Korean kings rarely had as many concubines and children), so I’m assuming it will be a reimagining of the story. While there’s not a lot of information about Moon Lovers yet, the drama team are in talks with Lee Jun-Ki! Oh my goodness, if they get Jun-Ki I am so in!! And if they can’t get him, I’ll still probably tune in just to see what their version looks like.



TBD
Daredevil
This Netflix superhero TV show blew my mind. My sisters started watching it and after I realized all they were going to talk about was “Matt”, I had to jump in and find out what this show was about. The quality of the acting, script, storyline, fighting, etc was so awesome! It completely redeemed Daredevil from the terrible Marvel movie that came out years ago. My only complaint would be the extreme violence. Luckily I’m pretty good with the fast-forward button. I’m super excited for Daredevil’s return in 2016 and all the emotions and story drama that will be coming with that.


Comments

  1. Ahhh! These shows look breathtaking - or at least War and Peace does. ;) The latest adaptation (which was dubbed in English) is beautiful. And I've a feeling this version will be more so. I'm also curious about the Dickens piece, and thrilled that the Musketeers are to return AND yay for the Sherlock special. How fabulous. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard from my sister that the last adaptation was quite lovely; I sadly never got around to watching it. Hopefully I can rectify that by watching the new War and Peace. I agree; so many fabulous shows coming!

      Delete
  2. Hi Faith. My sister (Erudessa Aranduriel at The Flowering Vales) mentioned your blog to me, because you commented on hers and she noticed you're an Asian drama fan. There are so few of us Asian drama fans in the blogging world. :)

    I'm trying not to go into full fangirl mode right now because Descendants of the Sun, Hwarang and Moon Lovers are the three kdramas I'm also most looking forward to in 2016. (Did you hear that Moon Lovers has changed its titled to 'Scarlet Heart: Goryeo'? I don't like the new name as well but I'm still very hyped for the drama.)

    I'm also looking forward to the Sherlock special (I hope to watch it on the 10th. I haven't seen the Three Musketeers yet but I want to because it's BBC and Santiago Cabrera. :) War and Peace is also on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miss Melody! You have no idea how happy it makes me to meet another "Asian drama fan"!! :D

      And I totally agree; there aren't enough Asian drama fans who blog, sadly.

      I did hear that Moon Lovers changed their name. I'm not a huge fan of either name, but I'm SUPER excited about the drama as well. :D

      I'm excited for Sherlock also. And Three Musketeers is so good! Definitely worth a try.

      Delete
  3. I don't watch dramas as they are airing, so I am dying for Cheese in the Trap to finish! And Descendant of the Sun. They announced that one way back in like the middle of last year, and it has been torture waiting to see Joong Ki in something new! Plus, I love Song Hye Kyo! I didn't know it was written by the Heirs writer, that makes me a little less excited, I must admit :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. It can be murder waiting for the next episode to be subbed. lol.

      It does feel like forever waiting for the Descendant of the Sun. I wasn't too excited to hear about the Heirs writer either, but this drama is being completely pre-produced which is something in it's favor. I personally think a lot of dramas suffer from the live shooting because they quickly catch up mid-show and it really starts to show in the writing and quality. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. ;)

      Delete
    2. I do like the idea of the drama being entirely pre-produced! I always thought that it was strange the way they do dramas, totally not enough room for error the way they shoot them. Though, there is the plus side of being able to react to audience opinion, I suppose! Maybe that's not as much of a plus side as it sounds though :p

      Delete
    3. They're doing it because they want to reach a larger audience and they have to have it pre-produced to get it into China quicker.

      I know it does sound like it would be a plus to react to audience opinion, though I think that by the time the audience is reacting the show probably has too many problems or it's too late to back-track.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…