K-Movie Marital Harmony and Lee Seung Gi


It's that time again as another K-actor, Lee Seung-Gi, leaves for the South Korean army for his two-year mandatory service. This is when we fans fondly reminisce over the departing actor's best roles and dramas, knowing will be happy to see them again when they return in two years.

Though I've always liked Seung-Gi, it wasn't until I looked at his filmography that I realized how many dramas I'd seen him in. So of course after taking a trip down memory lane I decided to blog about it!


#1 Brilliant Legacy, 2009
One of the earlier K-dramas I watched, it took a Cinderella story and gave it a modern, K-drama spin. It was a bit on the melodramatic, angsty side but I enjoyed the story and Seung-Gi who played a bratty rich-boy who learns humility and gets the girl along the way.


#2 My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, 2010
This is my favorite of Lee Seung-Gi's roles. He's seriously adorbs despite being a cowardly, selfish college kid whose terrified of the mythical gumiho girl who likes him. True love works its magic on him and changes him for the better. Shin Min-Ah also stars in this and together they're just every kind of cute.


#3 The Greatest Love (cameo), 2011
So technically he was only in a brief scene where he played a version of himself. It was really funny, though, when he showed up wearing the same scarf as the lead hero, Dokko Jin.


#4 The King 2 Hearts, 2012
This was an interesting, offbeat drama about a prince (Seung-Gi) who falls for a North Korean girl soldier and becomes king. Yes, Seung-Gi's character is a cowardly jerk once again (perhaps he's drawn to these roles, lol) who is changed through love and tragedy. Ha Ji-Won is the leading actress and is beautiful and dynamic as always.


#5 Gu Family Book, 2013
I didn't end up finishing this drama. For once Seung-Gi is a sweet, kind guy... who's also a mythical gumiho being. It's kind of funny and ironic to me that he had a gumiho girlfriend in one drama and a couple years later he's the gumiho.


#6 You're All Surrounded, 2014
This was a cute, if slow drama. It centered around Seung-Gi's character who was looking to avenge the death of his mother by finding her killer. His character is mainly a sweetie who has a lots of angst (but then who can blame the poor kid?)

Lee Seung-Gi & Shim Eun-Kyung
And to add to my list of movies I want to see this year, I just discovered Marial Harmony (also known as Match Made in Heaven), a film about Princess Songhwa (played by the wonderful Shim Eun-Kyung) who doesn't like the four men who have been chosen as possible husbands for her. Seung-Gi's character, Seo Do-Yoon, is a matchmaker dude who reads marriage signs (in ancient Korea, birth-dates and other signs have to align for harmonious relationships) for the princess. It's also starring Kang Min-Hyuk (Heirs, Heartstrings), Choi Woo-Sik (You're All Surrounded, Rooftop Prince) and Yeon Woo-Jin (Arang and the Magistrate, Marriage not Dating)! I'm assuming they're playing three of Songhwa's possible love interests,

(left to right) Yeon Woo-Jin, Kang Min-Hyuk, ad Choi Woo-Sik
Since Seung Gi's the lead, I'm guessing that he instructs Princess Songhwa who she should marry while falling in love with her himself? Haha! Sounds adorable! Of course, I'll have to wait to see the movie to know if it delivers the premise well. I've only liked a couple K-movies that I've seen (the plots and writing can be severely underdeveloped).  The movie wrapped up filming last year in December and will be coming out sometime this year. Here's hoping that Netflix or Dramafever will pick it up and sub it!

Comments

  1. I have yet to see Seung-Gi in anything, but My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Gu Family Book, The King 2 Hearts and You're All Surrounded are all on my TBW list.

    I'll save my questions about Gu Family Book for our emails. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all fun dramas! Definitely worth watching. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts