Skip to main content

Lackadaisy Review: A Guest Post

Foreword: I'm super excited to have my first guest post on my blog! My sister, HollowCandles, has a wonderful review of a fascinating online comic. Though I've never read Lackadaisy, after reading her review, I have to admit that I'm utterly intrigued!

Do you want a story with class, that's beautifully and tastefully made, and has that masterful combination of drama, comedy, romance, and action? Would you like characters that jump out at you; that every scene and turn of the plot catches you in the throes of anticipation for the next uttered word? Then you want Lackadaisy!




Out of the online comics and paperback comics I've read, Lackadaisy (practically) sits on the throne. Now, I say practically because naming something as the ever shining king of its medium is a serious decision and as far as comic readers go, I'm no Robert and Ebert-level reviewer. I've never even picked up a Marvel or DC issue. Also I have to leave room for other great favorites like Homestuck and Namesake and Faith Erin Hicks' stuff (but they will have their limelight another time). In Lackadaisy I've found that familiar recipe used in great works.

I first read it on deviantart, but everything is accessible at its website. I have to disclaim; the comic is still ongoing and it is painfully slowly updated (because it's amazingly drawn and its author has a job and real life). It's on its second volume and is updated online, though the first volume can be purchased to own. Inbetween updates, Tracy J. Butler, its author, puts out fun side stuff, such as character flashbacks, hypothetical situations, and some art of the cat characters if they were humans, as well as a couple humorous pieces that include herself.



Lackadaisy takes two really awesome things and smushes them together: The 1920s and cats. And it mixes them in the most wonderful way. The comic focuses on the Lackadaisy speakeasy during the Prohibition era. The illegal operation has seen better days; after the passing of its esteemed leader, Atlas May, it struggles to get by under the direction of Atlas's wife, Mitzi. She employs Rocky, the violinist in the band, to run odd errands and do whatever he can for the desperately understaffed establishment. His tendency to get shot at or mortally threatened more or less works to counteract the slow quicksand sinking of Lackadaisy into obscurity (and to save it from trouble he has a tendency to encourage). The few other employees left include the band, the rather forcibly retired gunman, Viktor, and Ivy, Atlas's goddaughter who tends the counter of the cafe that is Lackadaisy's unassuming front. Also involved in the illegal shenanigans are Freckle, Rocky's square cousin, Wick, a rich businessman with an eye for Mitzi, and Mordecai, a gunman who used to work for Atlas and left after his death to work for a rival speakeasy that has been growing more and more powerful. Throw in plenty of murderous gunslingers, questionable pasts, watered-down rum and anthropomorphic cat-human pig farmers and the combination is complete.



I have heavenly dreams at night of being as amazing as Tracy J. Butler. Lackadaisy is never lacking. I love every single character, even the ones you’re supposed to love to hate, and there are so many characters that I wouldn’t even know who to gush over first. Discovering each one is fun, and I'm still learning about them even now.
Another thing I love so much my toes curl up like the wicked witch is that the period setting immediately makes everything charming. A regular scene with two people talking is suddenly twice as fun because the wallpaper is paisley, the girls are dressed like flappers, and the dudes are wearing pinstripes. Not to mention, Tracy J. Butler's art makes everything so beautiful you could die of art poisoning.



As comics are apt to do, the art evolves from beginning to end; not only as the author’s skill increases but as their style is solidified and they feel more at home with their work.  Anybody who picks up volume 1 and volume 60 of Bleach will wonder if the two were even drawn by the same person. But the farther you read, the deeper you get and the more impossible it is to return.
The dialogue is more than enough to make me reach for my dictionary a couple times. The only thing it’s missing is a score by John Williams or Danny Elfman which is impossible because it's a comic. I believe of people's favorites, there are two kinds: Sentimental favorites and Masterpieces. And Lackadaisy is a masterpiece.

-guest post by HollowCandles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…