Skip to main content

Hail, Caesar! Review

This is my first film review for the 2016 Period Drama Challenge


Two weeks ago my sister showed me a trailer for Hail, Caesar and we both decided to watch the movie together. My sister and I had the pleasure of being in a mostly empty theater (we watched the matinee) enjoying a visual feast and ode to the bygone era of the 1950s.



The movie starts out with Eddie Mannix, who works production at Capitol Pictures and keeps actors’ private lives from ruining the studios’ image. He busies himself with trying to fix DeAnna Moran’s situation as she’s pregnant and unmarried. At the word of the “boss”, Eddie puts Hobie Doyle, a newbie who stars in western B flicks into a dramatic leading role. Things get crazy when actor Baird Whitlock disappears from the set of Hail, Caesar and a ransom note appears. Eddie is feeling the pressure and ponders whether or not to take another job offer for a less challenging job with more security.


Writing a clear plot out of Hail, Caesar is a feat in of itself. This is my first film I’ve seen written and directed by the Coen Brothers, so admittedly I went into this movie expecting a consistent plot and driving force that led us from the beginning to the end. Not even halfway through the film, I realized this wasn’t your typical film. Hail, Caesar refuses to be boxed in by conventional expectations for films – instead we are given “a slice of life” of Hollywood at the time with long, quiet scenes and introspective dialogue that subtly highlights and questions the role of Hollywood during that time. There is no climatic ending. There are no deep resolutions. Instead, we have a paean to a time of lavish artistry and strict regulations. And surprisingly, I enjoyed it!

Yes, as a lover of classics, a girl who would turn on TCM and watch musicals, B flicks, dramas and epics, this film clicked with me. I adored all the references to movies and famous actors, I laughed at the absurdity of how old Hollywood did things and the comedic moments in this offbeat film, and sighed at how production companies whitewashed people’s lives and even pressured and manipulated them into doing what was “necessary” to avoid scandal. Despite it’s slow but steady pace, I was thoroughly entertained.


As the film progressed further, I did wonder at the message the Coen Brothers were trying to relate. Was this film for or against anything or just romanticizing the ‘50s altogether? The closer we got to the film’s end, the more the “real life” scenes seemed to mimic the staged, idealized life of “movie set” scenes. For example, leading character Eddie Mannix has a brief scene where he goes home and talks with his wife. Despite the fact that his work is forcing him to miss out on his children’s lives, his wife (amusingly) doesn’t care about his new job offer that would allow him to be at home more. Instead, she tells him that he knows what’s best with the job offer – in a scene that plays out something from Leave it to Beaver where family’s home lives are picture perfect and no one squabbles about anything. And then there was the submarine scene…


Even the movie’s protagonist (or is he the antagonist…?) Eddie Mannix’s character is as layered and difficult to pinpoint as this movie’s true intentions. Hard-working, quiet, and weighed down, he seems like a man just doing what he can to survive in the business world. Other times, he comes down cruelly on the actors steamrolling them into submission to the Hollywood machine. Perhaps Eddie is the true problem – as he represents the system itself that needs to change but has no understanding that anything should change or that he’s doing anything unethical.

Littered throughout this film, larger controversial subjects are discussed such as Communists and the Red Scare of the ‘50s, the role of art in filmmaking and its power, the depiction of God and Christianity onscreen, and so much more. The film doesn’t try to answer anything but merely ponder and question these realities.


My favorite character was hands down Hobie Doyle played by newish actor Alden Ehrenreich. Hobie is both adorable and hilariously naïve, seemingly unaware that he is unwanted as the leading man in a dramatic role with his terrible acting. Hobie’s just quietly happy and unruffled by anything and honestly he stole the show for me. His scenes with Carlotta were too cute.

Oh the meta/references in this film! My sister and I discussed many of the film’s allusions to classic movies, characters and scenes. Just to name a few


DeAnna Moren (played by Scarlett Johansson) is an Esther Williams-type character who performs in swimming ballet.


Hobie Doyle being chosen as the leading role for a "serious" film reminded me of an old B flick The Cowboy and the Blonde.


Baird Whitlock’s film scene with the Romans and slaves drinking water was taken right from Ben-Hur.


Burt Gurnery (Channing Tatum) does a sailor dance scene much like Gene Kelly in Anchors Aweigh and On The Town.

Josh Brolin in The Young Riders
This film is crammed with talented actors and they carry this film wonderfully without any weak links. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for Alden Ehrenreich in his future roles and of course I love Scarlet Johansson, known for her fantastic Black Widow. Channing was ideally suited for the Gene Kelly-like character. And Josh Brolin was perfect as Eddie Mannix. I felt I’d seen Josh before, but it wasn’t until I researched it after the movie that I realized he’d played a teenaged version of Jimmy Hickock (Wild Bill Hickock) in The Young Riders, an early ‘90s show that I watched and enjoyed years ago. Plus, Brolin’s going to be playing Thanos in the upcoming Avengers Infinity War films which will be exciting to see.


If you love classic films, fans of the Coen Brothers’ works, or just enjoy beautiful cinematography, lovely period costumes and atypical, slice of life stories that make you think and laugh, you’ll enjoy Hail, Caesar!

Comments

  1. I really need to see this!! Channing Tatum in a Gene Kelly like role sounds amazing :D Only other Cohen Brothers I've seen is 'Oh Brother where art thou', but really enjoyed that and this looks fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Channing Tatum was just one of the many reasons I enjoyed this film! ;) I haven't seen Oh Brother Where Art Thou however I've heard it's an artsy kind of movie, so if you liked that one I'm sure you'll enjoy this one as well!

      Delete
  2. AAAAAAHHHH!

    I recently saw this, and I think I want to write a review, too ;)

    I liked it! I was a leeeeeetle uncomfortable with how "over the top" certain parts got (namely with the depiction of Christianity), but overall, it was a really fun, wacky movie.

    HOBIE! I LOVED HOBIE. He was absolutely danged adorable and awesome. The scene in the picture you included, with he and Lawrence Laurents trying to get his lines down, was epic xD "Why are you saying 'twere'?"

    It was such fun--the references and play-offs of the classics and the 50s Hollywood culture...

    And the costumes were so lovely! Especially Scarlett Johansson's :)

    You know, the lack of connected plot DID get a little tiresome at parts, but I don't think it was really meant to be "cohesive," as the critics are saying. I still enjoyed it, like you said.

    Perfect, perfect review! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yes! I'd love to read your review!!

      I agree; it little awkward at times (especially with those guys arguing over the exact portrayal in the film).

      YES Hobie was so cute! And the look and costumes, indeed, so lovely!

      Yes, I agree; the plot did tire me at times however not so much that I couldn't enjoy the film. (Amusingly out of the half dozen people in the theater, a couple got up during the "submarine scene".. and didn't come back, lol).

      Thank you, Olivia! ;)

      Delete
  3. I totally need to see this! Showtimes haven't worked out yet, but maybe this coming weekend they will. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's a fun one. And thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…