Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Historical Settings You'd Love To See


Yay! I’m joining in the TopTen Tuesday meme this week hosted by the lovely The Broke and the Bookish writers! I absolutely love the topic of this week – I’m a huge history admirer (note that doesn’t mean a history expert, though I wish I was, hehe) and immediately I started dreaming up all the historical settings I would adore to see more in fiction. So here goes!

Ten Historical Settings You'd Love To See

(in no particular order)



#1 American Revolutionary War (1765-1783)
I wish there were more books set in this time period because I love this time period. This was the age of incredible characters like George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Marquis de Lafayette, Abigail Adams, Patrick Henry and countless other memorable people. This was also during the Georgian era with elaborate powdered wigs, breeches, stockings, stomachers and sack-back gowns. Social issues were the burgeoning issue as “common” people began to question the rights and wrongs of their leaders and dream of a better world.


#2 Silla Dynasty, Ancient Korea (57 BC-935 AD)
This is all to blame on the K-drama Queen Seondeok that awakened me to the lavish, gorgeous early period of Korea. The gowns are absolutely stunning and unlike the later strict Confucian period of Korea, excessive jewelry was allowed. There’s so much fodder for entertaining stories – from the intriguing Hwarang warriors that initially started off as only women, three different women rulers, and an extremely strict nobility system that some kings had to fight to gain the throne.


#3 Highlanders/Jacobite Rising (1740s)
I’ve got a soft spot for Highlander stories ever since I watched the film Kidnapped (1960 & 1995 versions) by Robert Louis Stevenson. Though I don’t know a lot details about this time period, it’s an intriguing background with all the political unrest and attempts to put Bonnie Prince Charlie back on the throne. Plus kilts and plaid.


#4 Roaring Twenties (1920s)
Flappers, fringe dresses, gangsters, silent pictures (and later on talkies) – this decade is often noticed for the changing morals and loosening of strict traditions of society. I find the era itself fascinating from the crazy slang (cat’s pajamas, heebie-jeebies, molls, ritzy, torpedo, etc) to the delectable fashion of short, straight dresses, fedoras and pinstripe suits.


#5 Tang Dynasty (618-907)
This period always strikes me as the most beautiful, extravagant of the Chinese dynasties. The clothing was exquisite and the hairstyles often elaborate. Chinese films set during this era often focus on the splendor and pageantry of the Tang Dynasty. It would be so fascinating to see the intricacy of this rich era further explored.


#6 End of Edo Era Japan & Later Rebellions (1853-1877)
The end of the Edo era brought about many changes for Japan including the end of the samurai warrior class. The shogun, the long ruling de facto ruler of Japan, was removed and the Emperor of Japan finally took control. This was a time of conflict and contrast as Japan began to open up to the outside world.


#7 Great Depression (1930s)
An extremely difficult time for America and around the world, the Great Depression impoverished millions of people. During this time, people often went to the movies to watch popular stars like Shirley Temple, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Franklin Roosevelt galvanized the country through this hard time, though it wasn’t until WWII that the depression truly ended.


#8 Qin Dynasty, China (221-206 BC)
The building of the Great Wall of China, the famous Terra Cotta soldiers, the first unification of the Warring States into what is China. The Qin Dynasty was short lived but an intriguing time as China had its first emperor. I’d love to see this timeline further explored in a novel.


#9 Joseon Era, Ancient Korea (1392-1897)
As the longest running dynasty of Korea, the Joseon era is full of fascinating kings, dramatic wars, heartbreaking defeats and emotional stories. From the stunning hanbok clothing to the intricacies of a strict Confucianist society that governed every aspect of society, the Joseon era is a mesmerizing backdrop. Just a few intriguing, emotive stories set during this period are the mysterious, tragic death of Crown Prince Sohyeon; Lady Hyegyeong, whose husband Prince Sado was executed by his own father King Yeongjo, ignored female restrictions to write a book about the truth of what happened; and the Manchu invasion of Korea in 1637.


#10 Qing Dynasty, China (1644-1912)
The last dynasty of China, the Qing Dynasty is noted for both its fascinating culture and the severity that the Manchus used to take power. Considered almost barbarians by the former Ming Dynasty, the Manchus were military strategists and warriors who took over the country. After years went by, the Manchus of the Qing Dynasty were known for their elaborate palaces and royals’ lifestyles rather than wars. The Forbidden City alone is enthralling with its 9,999 rooms!


If you’ve read any books set in the historical settings that I mentioned here, do tell! Also, any historical eras you want to see a story set in? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

  1. YES!!! The Jacobites!! I am very intrigued by that whole era/movement whatever you call it. And I gobble up every book that I can find set in that setting!! G.A. Henty has several and i think I have all of them. There are 5 or 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fascinating time! I've only read one G.A. Henty book but it was one about the Jacobites and I remember it to this day. A lot of fun and after reading it, I remember I immediately looked up Bonnie Prince Charlie to learn more about him. ;)

      Delete
  2. I enjoy reading about the American Revolution too and you're right - there aren't a lot of books written in that era. I heard from one author that she wanted to write a book set during that time and her publisher said readers wouldn't go for it... but I would have lol. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've spent a lot of time looking for books set in the American Revolution but only find an occasional one. I'm not surprised that the publisher old the author that; I've heard of them doing that before. They're not going to risk anything, which can be disappointing as there's so much to explore out there. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…