Good 80s Movies!

I know what you’re thinking.

“Good movies were made in the 80s?”

Yes, I’ve thought the same thing for a long time. After all, the decade was full of unnecessarily dark, punk films and crazy fashion (shoulder pads, lots of bright yellow and pink, fanny packs, short-shorts on guys, the list goes on). 80s movies seared images in my mind of smokers with crazy perms or mullets wearing awful clothes, dealing with over the top angst issues, and all of the filming done at night. And then I actually took some time to think about it and realized… there were a lot of good movies from that decade; a few of them are even favorites that I’ve loved almost forever.

So here’s a reminder that there were some gems in the dark cave of the punk rock era. A few of these films even avoided looking extremely dated and are still beloved classics today! So here's a list of things the 80s did right... other than synthpop music and Cyndi Lauper singing Girls Just Want To Have Fun.


#1 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

My favorite movie series and my favorite movie (Empire Strikes Back). I’m not sure why I never contemplated the fact that these movies (1980 and 1983 respectively) were from the 80s. Sure, I knew it, but because they’re set in a fantasy sci-fi setting, I didn't think about it that often. Since the 80s gave me the best Star Wars film I realized it’s not all bad. Not at all.


#2 The Princess Bride

Another fantasy film that I didn’t realize was an 80s film, though it makes sense. This is a cult classic that has entertained loads of fans. It’s funny and entertaining and proves that the 80s didn’t just make unhappy rebel stories of angry teens. They also made you laugh!


#3 Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Harrison Ford was hugely popular in the 80s and for good reason. After the fame of Star Wars, Ford launched right into the mega hit of Indiana Jones with the three films all being released in the 80s. They’re classic feel-good adventures full of excitement and fun. Perhaps a little dark at times, but no more than most action flicks today. Thanks 80s!


#4 Labyrinth

Another movie I saw pretty recently, Labyrinth is a Jim Henson film that uses puppets and live action to bring to life a fun, though silly fantasy story with some good songs. Who knew that Labyrinth could make a mullet look cool (much thanks David Bowie). This film also made me realize that 80s fashion could be beautiful! If you don’t absolutely love Jennifer’s dream sequence ball gown… then you may need to rethink some life decisions. I’m just kidding. (No, I’m not.)


#5 Star Trek movies

I’m not going to list all the 80s Star Trek movies because there’s a lot. Yes, they’re not the best quality wise. They’re extremely campy and some of them were very strange and had some plot holes and issues. But after watching all of them with my brother, I can safely say that I enjoyed them. Kirk and his gang will always be my Star Trek team. Beam me up, Scotty!


#6 Back to the Future 1, 2, 3

I questioned writing this film series down as I’ve always been torn over it. There’s a lot I love about these flicks (the campiness, Marty meeting his parents, the craziness, the professor, the last film with all its western zany fun) and there’s a lot I don’t (the campiness, Marty meeting his parents, the craziness… oh wait). The films boasted some fun, original ideas along with some really weird ones. Which just means it was most definitely an 80s film.


Any 80s flicks that you love and believe redeemed the decade? How about the worst 80s flicks that you wish you could forget? Lemmie know in the comments!

Comments

  1. All great 80s movie choices! Though, I still haven't see the Indiana Jones movies :p Someday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the 80s! Lol. Indiana Jones is definitely a fun one. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've seen all the movies you have listed & I like/love them all except #4 - never got around to seeing that film, actually, I had not even heard of it until recently... I actually did think 'the princess' bride' was released in the 90's....I usually watch movies AFTER they had been released years afterward

    I can't think of any 80's film at the moment but I'm sure if I search the net, there'll have so many to choose from...

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! We've got a lot of movies we like in common!:D

      Yeah, I really watched Labyrinth because of my sister. She's a big Jim Henson fan and after she said she liked the movie, I watched it with her. It's kinda spooky but in a very tame, kiddish way that was fun. I just like the whimsical vibe to it. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea as my other sister got so bored with it she stopped watching not even 30 mins in, lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts