Six Flying Dragons Review


Six Flying Dragons Review

Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…

Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3

Ahem.

Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.

Yi Bang-Won
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jung Do Jeon’s greatest rival. A cast of fierce warriors, talented spies, and aspiring politicians join together to bring this new world to pass against mass political corruption and a mysterious deadly organization. Yet Yi Bang-Won’s ambitious nature brings dividing lines that threaten to tear the group apart.

With an epic sprawling backdrop of toppling an old government, Six Flying Dragons delivered more than just a political commentary of the changing of the dynasties but a heart-wrenching, emotional, intense ride that left you breathless by the end. There are so many boss characters in this drama - fighting whether with swords, their intellect, or their willpower.

Warrior Yi Bang-Yi
The biggest reason I was drawn to this drama was because of the writers who penned A Tree With Deep Roots and Queen Seondeok. Both are my two absolute favorite K-dramas! I was on the moon after learning that this was considered a “midquel” of sorts or a bridging of their interpretations of history. Many characters in this drama go on to become important characters in A Tree With Deep Roots which is set shortly after 6FD with the story of Yi Bang-Won’s son, King Sejong. On top of that, several characters are mentioned by name in 6FD from Queen Seondeok including Bidam!! Excuse me while I do a happy dance.

With 50 episodes its somewhat difficult to explain how boss, intelligent, intense, gorgeous looking, and utterly moving 6FD is so I’m going to highlight some of my favorite things about this drama.

THE CHARACTERS:


Yi Bang-Won – oh my word, where do I even start?? Yi Bang-Won is basically the “Anakin Skywalker” of the show; a promising, compassionate, brilliant young man who’s on a path to the dark side. Yoo Ah-In acted the heck of this role fleshing out every side of Bang-Won effortlessly – whether his youthfulness, his passion, or his rage against injustice. What I love best about Bang-Won is his zealous nature. Politics are his passion because they have meaning to him – helping others, stopping unfairness. His love for Boon-Yi stems from their mutual understanding; they think alike; often radical and impulsive. He’s willing to do the unthinkable for what he believes is the greater good. Despite his rivalry with Jung Do-Jeon, he still adores him to the end because he can’t not be moved by him.



The Warriors – Oh, Mu-Hyul and Yi Bang-Yi (there are a lot of Yi Bangs in this drama, haha) let me count the ways I love you both! I absolutely adore sword fighting heroic warriors and these two are some of the sweetest, most selfless, heroic sword fighting warriors ever. It’s impossible not to love them both! Bang-Yi is the sulker of the two with a pretty depressing, tragic backstory while Mu-Hyul is the innocent kid just trying to become the greatest sword fighter in Goryeo. No pressure, heh. Their bromance is the best. Not to mention Mu-Hyul’s adorable bromance with Bang-Won and Bang-Yi’s relationship with his sister as well as his romance with Yeon-Hee.




The Ladies –  how can one drama have so many freakin’ boss ladies?? My mind was literally blown with a whole band of female assassins! Not to mention the lead heroines are tough-to-boot: Boon-Yi and Yeon-Hee. Both girls have dealt with horrific pasts (yeah especially Yeon-Hee) but fought to overcome. Boon-Yi was my favorite as the (sometimes) quiet but impassioned common girl who dreamt of seeing her villager friends getting a chance at life. Another fabulous lady I loved, Min Da-Gyung, who aided Bang-Won’s political ambition. I don’t want to spoil some of the best surprises of the show, but let me just say there are several other ladies who have kick butt roles.


The Politicians – Oh Jung Do-Jeon, who could not love you? So down-to-earth and yet so filled with lofty dreams (like land for everyone and the end of rampant corruption. Actor Kim Myung-Min packed solid punch after solid punch with his role as the well-respected politician of early Korea. His compassionate and upright nature were perhaps his undoing as he faced opponents who were willing to do what he wouldn’t.

The Baddies – Any good drama needs great baddies and 6FD is full of evil, love-to-hate bad guys from the vilest politician Lee In-Gyum, the secret organization Nameless, and my favorite – face-painting, warrior-turned-politician Gil Tae-Mi.

THE ACTION:

When did political scheming become so much epic, intense fun? There are so many twists and turns in this show, which I lapped up, loving every moment where the heroes one-upped the baddies. Bang-Won had some of my favorite scenes including the one where he forces the reluctant Min Clan to sign an accusation against political baddies for their crimes – and lemmie say he was very persuasive (It might’ve involved a choice of life or death hehe).


Then there were the literal action scenes and oh my word, yusss! Blood, sweat, and tears – they were freakin’ boss! Gil Tae-Mi’s fight with Bang-Yi? Utter perfection. And then the fight scene when a baddie tries to wipe out the Yi family?? OH MY WORD!!! It’s literally an episode jam packed with epic fight scene after fight scene AND I’M TEARING UP THINKING ABOUT IT? Why so good show? Why??

THE EMOTION:



And basically what we’re left with at the end of 6FD is just all the feels. The epic swelling of anticipation over warriors fighting and Jung Do-Jeon and Bang-Won outmaneuvering and outsmarting the nation’s ruthless scum. To Bang-Yi’s reunion with his sister. To Bang-Won’s slow, lonely journey to the “dark side” that destroyed the most precious relationships he had. Yeah, I’m not crying. Not at all.

THE EXECUTION:


The production value of this drama was so fabulous. Stunning cinematography, gorgeous costumes, and some of the best music ever. I loved the dark, shadowy atmosphere that brought the angsty, menacing past visually to the screen. I still get teary eyed hearing Muyiyiya. And how cool that actor Byun Yo-Han sang his own songs (his voice is so beautiful).

FINAL:

If you love period dramas, martial arts fight scenes, romances where a guy respects and falls for a girl because she’s a radical thinker, if you like watching heroes fight impossible, gut-wrenching odds, if you like boss, shrewd, and brainy heroes and heroines spend their days kicking butt and taking names, well, you’ve got 50 episodes that are going to win your heart then tear it into pieces and then rebuild a new heart out of those ashes. And you’ll love every minute of it!

Photos: SBS

Comments

  1. saw the first episode with the piggies & didn't want to watch & also, 50 episodes sounds a lot. one reason I watch show after they aired is so that I know how many episode there will be.

    but now, reading your review I'm thinking of watching it, perhaps watching it now might be different experience...

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had the same problem!! I honestly thought about stopping the drama at the beginning. I was worried that it wasn't going to get any better. The piggies really freaked me out. The first four episodes weren't my favorite - the piggies and other stuff felt creepy and extremely dark, because a lot of horrific stuff happened to the leads as children. However, it gets SOOOO much better after that. I'm very glad I stuck with the drama because the story took a waaaay better turn once the adult actors came in.
      If you don't want to power through the first couple episodes you could always read the recaps on Dramabeans and then start watching at episode 5. Just a thought. ;)

      Thanks for reading lissa! :D

      Delete
  2. Yes, I had the same problem!! I honestly thought about stopping the drama at the beginning. I was worried that it wasn't going to get any better. The piggies really freaked me out. The first four episodes weren't my favorite - the piggies and other stuff felt creepy and extremely dark, because a lot of horrific stuff happened to the leads as children. However, it gets SOOOO much better after that. I'm very glad I stuck with the drama because the story took a waaaay better turn once the adult actors came in.
    If you don't want to power through the first couple episodes you could always read the recaps on Dramabeans and then start watching at episode 5. Just a thought. ;)

    Thanks for reading lissa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Kay. For some reason, the site is not picking up my wordpress info, but I wanted to comment. Just waiting for a good opening to watch this. I never anticipated there would be so many amazing dramas in 2016. Finding time for a long one has been difficult. I'm still really excited to watch it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess it did pick it up. It just kept saying it didn't until after I hit publish, lol.

      Delete
    2. I've had a problems as well with wordpress or blogspot just giving me a hard time when I'm commenting.
      I know I totally didn't expect to be watching this many K-dramas this year! Time has been my main difficulty as well, lol. Hope you enjoy it! I definitely loved it.
      And as lissa and I were discussing above in the comments, the first few episodes were not my favorite. They weren't bad at all, but the show really kicks into high gear after episode 5 when the adult actors come in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts