Skip to main content

The Best Mr. Darcy

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Jane Austen story.

I mean, it is basically perfection.

Since the novel’s debut 204 years ago (I know right!!), there have been countless adaptations and interpretations of the romantic tale. And with that we have been given many wonderful versions of the ever fascinating Mr. Darcy.

Here’s a look at the many Mr. Darcys to have graced the screen. You can vote at the end for your favorite as well!


#1 Matthew McFayden – Pride and Prejudice 2005
Talented actor Matthew McFayden does a wonderful job as Mr. Darcy. The take on the character is more misunderstood than prideful, with Darcy never intentionally doing anything hurtful. Whether this was chosen because of lack of screen time or just for a sweeter take on the character, McFayden won all our hearts with his perfect, darling smile. Yay for Mr. Darcy!


#2 Matthew Rhys – Death Comes to Pemberley
I didn’t expect much from this BBC take on the continuing story of the Darcys, but I was pleasantly surprised with an enjoyable story. Matthew Rhys’ Darcy is gruffer and more stern here, but he still has a heart of gold underneath all that. Definitely a swoonworthy Darcy.


#3 Daniel Vincent Gordh – The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
A youtube sensation, LBD retells the novel in a modern format. The show is super adorable, fun and addictive. Daniel probably plays the youngest Mr. Darcy yet. He’s totally awkward, misunderstood, and stiff and, of course, watching him and Lizzie fall in love was so much fun!


#4 Martin Henderson – Bride and Prejudice
This is a cute little film, though I can’t say that Henderson’s Darcy is its finest point (it would be Aishwarya as Lalita). The film has a Bollywood twist on the original, with rich, rude and dorky Mr. Darcy falling for sweet, vibrant Lalita (Elizabeth). Despite his stiff acting, he was a decent rom-com lead.


#5 Laurence Olivier – Pride and Prejudice 1940
Definitely worth a watch for classic lovers! This film is hilariously influenced by the blockbuster film Gone With The Wind (which aired a year before) with everyone wearing 1860s fashion instead of Regency attire. Laurence is dramatically (and purposely) rigid and cold as Mr. Darcy. Still he’s fun to watch!



#6 Sam Riley – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
I really didn’t expect to like this movie, but PPZ surprised me with a fun (though full of zombie gore, lol) take on the story. Riley’s Darcy is a great fighter (just like Lizzie) and has great chemistry with Lizzie. Here he’s a colonel obsessed with fighting off the zombie hordes. A great new take on the character.


#7 Colin Firth – Pride and Prejudice 1995
I can’t apologize. I love this version eternally and Colin Firth to me is as inseparable from Mr. Darcy as James Earl Jones’ voice is to Darth Vader. He’s both prideful and selfish, as well as compassionate and willing to change and learn from his mistakes. He’s the ultimate Byronic hero. Three cheers for Mr. Darcy!!!

So who’s your favorite Darcy?



The Best Mr. Darcy!

#1 Matthew McFayden – Pride and Prejudice 2005
#2 Matthew Rhys – Death Comes to Pemberley
#3 Daniel Vincent Gordh – The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
#4 Martin Henderson – Bride and Prejudice
#5 Laurence Olivier – Pride and Prejudice 1940
#6 Sam Riley – Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
#7 Colin Firth – Pride and Prejudice 1995

Comments

  1. Matthew McFayden will always be my favorite Mr. Darcy. I like his voice a lot and also, he's not arrogant as the other Darcys'

    Colin Firth's Darcy is okay, didn't really care for the walking into the water with his shirt on scene, I just don't like Firth's take, he just seems to frown a lot more than he smiles while we get to see McFayden smiles. and I did see this version first before McFayden's version.

    But I suppose it's a personal preference.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthew McFayden does have a lovely voice. I agree, he's less rude, hehe.

      Very true; Colin Firth's Darcy is more a frowny-face, lol. The 1995 was my first version, so I'm sure that's why I love him most. But I totally agree that McFayden's Darcy was very well done and an extremely popular Darcy (for good reason)!

      Delete
  2. At the risk of sounding cliche, I have to say Colin Firth. I have seen Colin Firth, Matthew McFayden, bits of Laurence Olivier, Martin Henderson and one clip of Daniel Vincent Gordh. And I definitely think Colin was the best...in a period version. Of the little I saw of Daniel, I think he was better in a modern then Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't be cliche here, lol. I just overall like the 1995 miniseries the best, most likely because it was my first version of Pride and Prejudice I saw. I agree; Daniel is much better than Martin, lol. But it really doesn't take much (sorry Martin. But not that sorry. :D )

      Delete
  3. It's got to be Colin Firth every time (although the 1995 was my first Darcy too, so I'm probably a bit biased!) I like how Matthew McFaddyen plays the shyness - but Colin Firth's Darcy is more like the book, he's supposed to be rude and arrogant! And he smiles less but it's worth waiting for :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Catherine!! :D Yay for 1995 biases, lol. And definitely Mr. Darcy's infrequent smiles made it
      "worth waiting for."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinderella and the Four Knights: Episode 1 Recap

Cinderella and the Four Knights is here! This K-drama recaptures the old fun from popular dramas like You're Beautiful and Boys Before Flowers with the "pretty boy" squad and plucky, poor heroine who wins all their hearts. The real question is, how will our Cinderella ever be able to choose? Here's a recap of the first episode!
The Introduction

The episode starts out with the heroine, Eun Ha-Won, whose life closely resembles that of Cinderella, working endless part-time jobs while dealing with a selfish step-mom and step-sister.

We also meet the three Kang grandsons: very different cousins who don’t get along at all. Kang Seo-Woo is the quieter cousin who focuses on his music. Kang Hyun-Min is a womanizer who is constantly breaking up with girls (and giving them expensive parting gifts to soften the blow, lol). Through flashbacks we see he’s been with his rich grandfather, CEO Kang, the longest. Kang Ji-Woon is the newest addition – he was found recently, the long-los…

Six Flying Dragons Review

Six Flying Dragons Review
Once in a while a drama comes onscreen that you were destined to love. Six Flying Dragons had my heart written all over it as soon as I learned about it. I’ll now apologize for the amount of fangirling that is about to commence over this drama…
Asdgjlkghahsgdhs I LUUUUV DIS DRAMA!!!! <3 <3 <3
Ahem.
Despite the fact that I knew this drama was going to be the best thing ever, I didn’t watch it while it aired. I hadn’t committed to finishing a 50-episode drama in a looong time but I knew with this one I would have to make an exception. Finally, when I thought I had the time to start on it, I dived in. So glad I did.
Six Flying Dragons tells the story of the passionate politician Jung Do Jeon who wants to change the decaying government of Goryeo and start a new dynasty and rule of government with virtuous General Yi Seong-Gye as king. However, it is Yi Seong-Gye’s fourth son, Yi Bang-Won, who relates most to Jung Do Jeon’s dream – and who will also be Jun…

What A Girl Wants Review

I still remember the first time I watched this film – at my friend’s house, sitting on her bedroom floor, watching it on a small television with a VHS player. Hehe. Those were the days. What A Girl Wants is a modern, somewhat looser Cinderella retelling that while a simple, cheesy teen flick, has a lot of sweet charm to it, especially with its message of father-daughter relationships and finding one’s identity.

The story starts out with Daphne Reynolds who lives with her single mom, Libby, in Chinatown, New York. Her mom’s a wedding singer while Daphne, at seventeen, is working odd jobs and trying to decide what to do next with her future. At one of the weddings, Daphne is working as waitress when the father-daughter dance begins. Her mother recognizes that forlorn look and tries to console Daphne, but Daphne’s pained at the thought that her father-daughter dance will never come.

It’s been enough years of waiting for Daphne. She finally sets out for London, leaving her mom a note exp…