Like for Likes


I've been in a movie slump for awhile, mainly watching dramas. So I wasn’t planning on watching this, but then I saw Yoo Ah-In on Like for Likes poster on Dramafever! Of course I had to check out this film right away!

The romantic film focuses on six different couples – a young actor and an older screenwriter, a restaurant owner and his landlady, and a songwriter and drama producer as they connect through Facebook and fall in love.

The movie has been likened to Love Actually (which I haven’t seen) with the concept of several different romance stories being told through different people, some who are friends.

The movie was enjoyable and fun to watch, though it never strayed from typical rom-com territory. With six main characters in 120 mins’ run time, there wasn’t much time to really grow the romances organically or show much, if any, emotional development. Still I liked seeing familiar K-actors on-screen together and enjoyed several of the characters.

too adorable for words: Kang Haneul
My favorite of the 3 romances was the songwriter played by Kang Haneul and the drama producer. Though his story was a bit farfetched, with him hiding his deafness from everyone around him, his romance was by far the sweetest and most touching. I loved seeing Kang Haneul in a different type of role to Moon Lovers/Scarlet Heart: Ryeo where he played a very somber, reserved prince. Here, he’s adorable and much more relaxed. Seriously, he’s SOOOO adorable here!!! I thought the drama producer, played by Esom, was very likable too and I loved how her character didn’t follow the usual misunderstanding trope.

Yoo Ah-In disarming us with his smile
My second favorite is the noona romance with Yoo Ah-In, who plays an actor fresh out of serving the army and the screen-writer who he had a brief fling with years ago. Yoo Ah-In was the one selling all the romance. Seriously, Ah-In oozes charisma in everything he does. The screenwriter, played by Lee Mi-Yeon, unfortunately had zero emotional reaction to him until the very last second, which I believe is mostly the fault of the writing/directing. I’m not certain why the director didn’t add more scenes showing Mi-Yeon being swayed by Ah-In.

Cutesy Choi Ji-Woo
The third romance was cute as well, with Choi Ji-Woo, a flight attendant/landlady falling for a restaurant owner, Joohyuk. Their romance is more subtle, as he helps her get another guy, but slowly develops feelings for her.

I was pleasantly surprised at how little content was in the film; nothing more than a little language and innuendo. K-movies don’t have strict content regulations like K-dramas do, which means you might get shocked when you first watch a K-movie, like I did, lol.

I have to admit that I rolled my eyes at the usage of Facebook in the film. I had assumed the movie was using the internet more as a concept of the modern age of dating, but while watching it, it felt more like native advertising or product placement. I mean they used Facebook in several essential scenes to bring couples together. If that isn’t selling a product, then I don’t know what is!

Ha Seok-Jin
Overall, this was an easy, cute little watch that didn’t require too much thought. I enjoyed seeing the talented cast, particularly Kang Haneul, Yoo Ah-In, Kim Joohyuk, Choi Ji Woo, and even a cameo by Ha Seok-Jin (1% of Anything). Good fun for rom-com lovers.

You can check out Like for Likes on Dramafever!

Comments

Popular Posts